Monday, December 28, 2009

Patience, My Dad, Patience

As for most people, Christmas for us this year was filled with family, giving, celebration, joy, fatigue and stress. Making a surprise appearance for me, though, was karma. Noah reciprocated one of my commonly used excuses and made Christmas my first "Someday."

He was having fun coloring with his cousins, and I asked if I could join them at their table. Noah politely responded, "No, Daddy. Maybe someday when you get bigger." The simple assumption would be that he doesn't actually understand what the phrase means, since I usually provide that response anytime he wants to try something dangerous. In truth, he may be more perceptive than we realize since I often use it as a quick and easy excuse if I don't want him to do something; and I don't want to argue with him about it, put up with a tantrum and go into a detailed explaination of the pros and cons of the proposed activity. Thus, it appears that I may have to either adjust my repsonses to his requests or be a very patient man if I want to color with my son, because I haven't grown in a decade.

What probably brought me the greatest joy from the experience was his comfort on his own and with his cousins. It looks like I will be reluctantly observing from a distance more and more as he explores, armed with a purple crayon and his imagination.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if you can even imagine how much you've grown in a decade! And just as you grow through your contact with Noah, I grow through my contact with you. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete