Monday, September 27, 2010

Hearing Implored

"Noah, please come inside...Noah, it's time to go in the house...Noah, let's go!...(no reaction)...That's it. No books before bed." Noah immediately pleads as if his life depends on it, "I can listen! I can listen to you!"

Mary and I don't know how to respond except "Really? Why don't you then?"

Noah's response has become so automatic that he says it every time he gets in trouble no matter what actually brought on the condemnation. He acts as if the universe is conspiring against him and swallowing his freedom. Although this is his last ditch effort to evade punishment, his proclamation ironically reiterates our frustration and cements his guilt. In our heads, Mary and I finish his statement for him, "I can listen to you...but I choose not to."

As long as he refuses to listen, we'll be listening to his refuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment